Do you love creamy curries but not the cream? Then using natural yoghurt is the perfect solution. Yogurt (curd) is used extensively in India. Spinach and Yogurt Curry is a very popular Keralan dish.
Serves four as a main dish in 25 minutes
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
2 tbsp oil (vegetable or coconut)
1 tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp fenugreek seeds
2 garlic cloves
200g shallots (or onion), chopped
1-3 fresh green chili sliced
1 inch piece of ginger (finely chopped or grated)
1 can chickpeas
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp chili powder
200g raw spinach, chopped
300g plain yoghurt
1. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the mustard seeds. When they start to pop, add the fenugreek seeds.
2. Add the garlic, shallots, green chili and ginger and cook for 5-10 mins (until shallots turn brown).
3. Add the chickpeas and tomatoes. Mix thoroughly, then add the turmeric, chili powder and salt.
4. Start adding the spinach, and cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually add the yoghurt, stirring constantly.
6. Put the pan back on the heat, and warm for 3 minutes stirring constantly.
7. Serve with rice and/or Naan bread.